Tuesday, July 22, 2008

LOVE THAT DOG: a novel in verse by Sharon Creech

Creech, Sharon. LOVE THAT DOG. New York: Harper Collins, 2001, 86 pp.

Awards:
Creech is a Newberry Award-winning author. This book has the following endorsements:
Carnegie Medal commended book
New York Public Library's "One Hundred Titles for Reading and Sharing"
Book Sense 76 Bestseller
ALA Notable Book
School Library Journal Best Book
Publishers Weekly Best Book
Christopher Medal winner

Here's what Miss Martha says about LOVE THAT DOG . . .

Summary
Jack is a (12?) year old boy in Miss Stretchberry's class who is struggling with his assignments to write poetry. As his teacher introduces him to Frost, Williams, and other great poets, Jack responds with writings of his own that turn out to be (oh no!) poetry in themselves. Jack's writing assignments gradually reveal some very personal information about his life, and his yellow dog, Sky. Creech takes us on a verse-driven journey through Jack's awakening as a writer and poet, and turns us on to a number of poems that we might like to read, too, suggesting that we, as readers, might have some poetry of our own to write. Along the way, Jack develops a great admiration for Walter Dean Myers and . . . wait, you've gotta read the book to find out!

Review
This is it! This is the companion to HEARTBEAT. No, wait, I want the girls to read this one, too. Augh. Actually EVERYONE should read this book. Wait, there's another one of my gross generalizations. . . . okay. . . .

This book is a must-read for anyone who's ever loved a pet.
This book is a must-read for anyone who ever said they couldn't write.
This book is a must-read for anyone who's written, but has now stopped writing.
This book is a must-read for anyone complaining of "writer's block."

This book confirms my (still relatively new) adoration for Walter Dean Myers.

Jack's voice is incredibly real throughout the book. Creech's language is expertly chosen, and I'm reminded of writers who talk about "removing all the extra words" because this is what I think they were all going for. There are no extra words. Jack's personality and prose drew me in immediately because I felt emotionally safe and intellectually comfortable. Then, towards the end, when more of Jack's story was revealed, I found myself deeply touched. I had kept my heart and mind completely open to him, never disconnecting from the text a single time.

I love this book. I love it. I lurve it. I want every boy who says that poems are for ninnys and sissys and girlie girls to read this book and then look me in the eye and show me that they aren't a little red-eyed or sniffly.

We are all poets. We just need the Miss Stretchberrys of the world to keep making us write, write, write. We'll get there. Here's to the next generation of Stretchberrys and Jacks!

Highly (duh!) Recommended. Go on and getchyou some Creech. I'm gettin s'more. For sure.

. . . and that's what Miss Martha says.

7 comments:

katylovesbooks said...

I have to have this book! I love Heartbeat. I laughed out loud about her mom being pregnant, because my son's friend's mother just had a baby, and they are 12. It was an overwhelming experience for those boys, grappling with sexuality for the first time. I can hardly wait to read this one. Thank you again for your constant knowledge and inspiration!

Tara said...

I was sort of hoping Dr. Goering would make a poetry category for one of our blog books. I had my heart set on reviewing this one, but there wasn't any way to work it in - I just couldn't use any more fiction by white people. I cannot wait to use it in the classroom, though. I think it is short enough that everyone could read it (even though we are supposed to avoid the "whole class" novel like the plague!) and use it for writing lessons and discussion without making it take six weeks, so that everyone could enjoy it! Love Love That Dog!

Brian Lee said...

I think this novel sounds like a great way to introduce verse writing. Having not read it, I am very interested to know how a classroom would react to a verse novel. Also, it seems that adolescent literature is most effective when it inspires either writing or reading. From your review, it sounds like this novel can do both. Thanks for tipping me off to this work.

Brian

Lindsay Smith said...

Haha! Your review made me laugh so hard! I love your enthusiasm!!! This novel sounds wonderful and I'm so glad I read your blog because I probably would have never known about this book. I don't consider myself a very good writer, so I'm glad you recommended it to people who are struggling writers. I'm definitely picking this book up next time I'm at the bookstore (which will be tomorrow). I really appreciate your review and am definitely inspired to read this novel.

john oberski said...

Martha
I lurved the lurical lurve you served this review. I, too, lurve poetry and poetry-prose hybrid novels and am excited to swerve into this one. I have recently finished "Bronx Masquerade" by Nikki Grimes, which features adolescent open mike poetry in 18 voices. Kinda like a living, urban, young "Spoon River Anthology" of relationships flushed out by individual monologues. Anyhow, I was first interested in your review by its canine byline, but am even more intrigued by your description of this book's form. Thanks! I'll check it out.

ljennings said...

Hey hey Miss Martha...
This book sounds really interesting! I do consider myself as someone who struggles with poetry and is also a major pet lover so I will definitely be checking out this book! Thanks for your rave review and I look forward to experiencing the book. I also haven't read any reviews yet that were on a book about poetry...so yay for Miss Martha! :)

Kelly Riley said...

Martha,
Yes, once again you have succeeded in making me smile with your posts. I need to add a little more pep to my blog posts. I think I've just been to tired to be creative and spunky lately. LOL. Perhaps the cure is to read Love That Dog and Heartbeat. I am going to finish Thursday's Child tomorrow, so one or both of these books are on my list. I love poetry and poetry/prose hybrids. And, of course, you already know how much I love dogs. I still dream about my Rufus dog. I miss him. I guess I always will. All I have to say is, a book that combines poetry and dogs is one I must read. Thanks for the recommendation!