Friday, July 18, 2008

HEARTBEAT, a novel in verse by Sharon Creech

Creech, Sharon (2004). Heartbeat. New York: Harper Collins, 180 pp.

AWARDS: Creech is a Newberry Medal award winning (for Walk two Moons)

Genre: Coming of age fiction, free verse poetry

Here's what Miss Martha says about HEARTBEAT . . .

Heartbeat is the story of a 12-year old girl who is in transition. Annie narrates her story in free verse, as she copes with: 1) her mother's pregnancy, 2) her grandfather's Alzheimer's Disease, 3) being a 'tween, 4) her expectations of herself v. the expectations of adults around her, 4) her platonic friendship with Max, her best friend and running buddy, and 5) her burgeoning interests and abilities as a visual artist.

This book could be a beautiful way for girls to start the 6th grade school year. It is written with simple, honest language, and brings up many life issues in an emotionally safe way. Annie is a strong, level-headed, but also curious and questioning 'tween, wedged between the child who uses silly words when talking to the neighbor and the young woman who argues head-to-head with the girls' track coach. She is solidly in-between childhood and teenager-dom; the ideal example of a middle school girl. Annie is very self-possessed for someone her age, yet she never comes across as falsely sagacious. Author Sharon Creech does a superb job of putting herself back in the shoes of a 12-year old girl. The numerous metaphors, images, and frameworks in this book provide a number of opportunities for teaching reading and writing techniques. One of my favorite sections of the book is one in which Annie learns about footnotes at school, and then starts to use them generously throughout her monologue.

Wouldn't it be great, if you were a 6th grader, to get a 180 page book under your belt at the beginning of the school year? I know a lot of students who would wear that accomplishment like a badge of honor. This is a quick and easy read with many opportunities for discussions, writing and further reading. It was enjoyable and fresh, just like the apple that Annie learns to draw in her art class.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

And that's what Miss Martha Says.

2 comments:

katylovesbooks said...

Miss Martha,

I really want to read this book! Thank you for your blog. I was thinking about a companion book for boys, and it might be weird, but I think 6th grade boys learning to fit in might actually like "Diary of a Wimpy Kid." I know it doesn't appeal to the emotional side of us, but reading through your blog, I think it touches on the insecurities of beginning middle school, and tweendom. Also, I think you might like to check out "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli. It is on my reading list. I have read "Maniac Magee" and "Loser" by him and loved both of them. Have a great weekend. I am starting my utterly confusing ethics reflection to be followed by similar but different ethics paper?!?

Miss Martha said...

Those sound like great potential mates; however, my dear friend and ESOL teacher turned me towards LOVE THAT DOG, also by Sharon Creech, but in a boy's voice, and also in narrative. I'm picking it up today, and will read and blog on it. I can't tell you how touched I've been by HEARTBEAT. Every young woman should read it. Annie is amazing!!